Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) has consistently been found to be the most effective treatment for OCD and anxiety. The same proven techniques used in individual treatment will be employed in this group for adults. These include:
- Implementing tools to deal with fear and doubt
- Taking small steps to expose yourself to what you avoid (ERP)
- Stopping self-defeating ways of reducing your anxiety
- Altering the way you relate to your thoughts, emotions, and sensations
- Changing negative self-talk
- Motivating yourself to accept discomfort in order to pursue what you value
Advantages of Group Therapy
Your suffering may be increased by feelings of isolation and shame. Here’s an opportunity to see that you are not alone and that others are struggling with similar challenges.
It can be difficult to face your fears and doubts on your own. In a group setting, you can receive encouragement from others. You may even help inspire others to change. The shared experience of tackling symptoms can be very powerful. Applying more productive coping strategies is easier when you are supported by others who truly get how difficult it can be.
Group therapy costs considerably less than individual sessions. In the group you’ll work on your own specific problems both in the meetings themselves, and between meetings. If you wish, you may be able to contact another group member during the week if you need some extra coaching and support doing your homework.